PERMITS & Inspections

Checklist for Obtaining Permits & Scheduling Inspections

Plumbing Contemporaneous Review Standards & Guidelines

Homeowner / Landlord Permits:

HOMEOWNER: Any building, plumbing, or HVAC permit required by the City of Craig or Moffat County may be issued to any person to do any work in a single-family dwelling used for living purposed, including accessory buildings and quarters in connection with such buildings, if that person is the bona fide owner of the home or accessory building, and the structure is occupied by such owner. Provided that the owner shall personally purchase all material and shall personally perform all labor for the project. (Basically, a homeowner may pull permits for the home in which they live in as long as they are doing the work themselves, and the necessary permits and inspections are completed.) However, if homeowner hires a contractor, they must have either a valid City of County license, depending on where the work is being performed.

LANDLORD: Property owners who are the bona fide owner of a one or two-family dwelling, which they use as a rental property and is not their primary residence, may acquire permits for the following: Including, but not limited to roofing, siding, decks, covered porches/patios, interior framing, drywall and accessory buildings without living quarters. Provided that the owner shall personally acquire the permit, purchase all material, and perform all labor. If the landlord hires a contractor, they must have either a valid City or Count license, depending on where the work is being performed.

Property owners shall NOT acquire the following permits for a property that is not their primary residence:
  •  Plumbing, Mechanical, and Electrical permits
  • Building permits for a new residence/dwelling, or one which would add living space to an existing structure.
NOTE: This applies to one and two-family dwellings only, all commercial properties require a properly licensed contractor to acquire the permit and perform the work.

Work Exempt from Permit

A building permits shall not be required for the following:

  • Unattached accessory structures 200 sq. ft. or less, used for tools, storage, playhouses, or similar uses, for residential dwellings only. This includes both site-built and prefabricated structures which are delivered as one unit. Note: These structures must meet the setback requirements for the zone district in which they are located.
  • Walks, sidewalk repairs and driveways not more than 30" above grade and not over any basement or story below.
  • Painting, wallpapering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.
  • Paneling when no structural alterations are being done to alter the occupancy or construction of the building. This applies to single-family dwellings only.
  • Window awnings on residential buildings only.
  • Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets an scenery.
  • Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy that are less than 24" deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons, and are installed entirely above ground.
  • Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
  • Residential and commercial overhead garage door installations, when no structural alterations are required to openings.
  • Installation of replacement windows, when no structural altercations are required to openings.
  • Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two-family dwellings.
  • Movable cases, counters, and partitions not over 5'9" high.
  • Decks not exceeding 200 sq. ft. in area, that are not more than 30" above grade at any point, and are not attached to the dwelling.